glasses girl

glasses girl
in the front of mosque

Monday, June 20, 2011

CONDITIONAL SENTENCE / IF CLAUSE


Conditional sentence / If Clause are divided into 3 kinds:
1.    Conditional sentence type 1 (Future Conditional)
It is used to express possible hoping or wanting in the future.
Pattern of conditional sentence type 1
If + S + V1 + O
If + S + don’t / doesn’t + V1 + O
If + S + is/am/are + adjective/noun/adverb
If + S + is/am/are + not + adjective/noun/adverb
S + will + V1 + O
S + will not + V1 + O
S + will + be + adjective/noun/adverb
S + will not + be + adjective/noun/adverb

Pattern of the true in the future
It is possible that +  S + will+ V1 + O + adverb

Example:
a)      If you invite her, she will come to the party
Ø  The fact: it’s possible that she will go to the party
b)      If my mother is sick, I will be sad
Ø  The fact: it’s possible that I will be sad
2.    Conditional sentence type 2 (Present Conditional )
It is used to express unreal hoping or wanting in the present.
Pattern of conditional sentence type 2
If + S + V2 + O
If + S + didn’t + V1 + O
If + S + were + adjective/noun/adverb
If + S + were + not + adjective/noun/adverb
S + would + V1 + O
S + would not + V1 + O
S + would + be + adjective/noun/adverb
S + would not + be + adj./noun/adverb

Pattern of the true in the present
V2 → don’t/ doesn’t + v1
Were is / am / are
Didn’t → v1
Were not → is/am/are
Would + v1 → don’t/ doesn’t + v1 or will not +v1
Would not + v1→ v1 or will + v1
Would be → is / am / are + not
Would not be → is / am / are

Example:
a)      If I had money, I would buy the shoes
It means: I don’t have money now, so, I don’t buy the shoes
b)      If Tony loved Laura, she would be happy
It means: Tony doesn’t love Laura, so she is not happy
3.    Conditional sentence type 3 (Past Conditional )
It is used to express impossible hoping or wanting in the past.
Pattern of conditional sentence type 3
If + S + had + V3 + O
If + S + had + not + V3 + O
If + S + had been + adjective/noun/adverb
If + S + hadn’t been + adj./noun/adverb
S + would + have + V3 + O
S + would not +have + V3 + O
S + would have been + adj./noun/adverb
S + wouldn’t + have been+ adj./noun/adverb

Pattern of the true in the past
had + V3 → didn’t + v1
had been → was/were + not
hadn’t → v2
hadn’t been → was/ were
would have → didn’t + v1 or would not + v1
would not have → v2 or would + v1
would have been → was / were + not
wouldn’t have been → was / were
Example:
a)      If I had had money yesterday, I would have bought the shoes
→It means: I didn’t have money yesterday, so I didn’t buy the shoes
b)      If I had been there last night, I would have helped her
→It means: I was not there last night, so I didn’t help her
                                                                                          
CONDITIONAL SENTENCE WITHOUT IF

Conditional sentence type II
Example: If I were in Semarang, I would meet her now
→Were I in Semarang, I would meet her now

Conditional sentence type III
Example: If I had been in Semarang yesterday, I would have met her
→Had I been in Semarang yesterday, I would have met her

SUBJUNCTIVE WISH
(harapan tak terpenuhi)
Subjunctive
The truth
Positive
negative
Negative
positive

1.    Present subjunctive (untruth wish in the present)
Pattern:
Subjunctive Wish (+) in present

S + wish + s+ v2 + o
S + wish + s+ were+ adj./noun/adverb
S + wish + s+ modal 2 + v1 + o

The truth (-) in present

S + don’t/doesn’t + v1 + o
S + is/am/are + not+ adj./noun/adverb
S + modal 1+ not + v1+ o


Subjunctive Wish (-)

The truth (+) in present

S + wish + s+ didn’t + v1 + o
S + wish + s+ were not + adj./noun/adverb
S + wish + s+ modal 2 + not + v1 + o

S + v2 + o
S + is/am/are +  adj./noun/adverb
S + modal 1 + v1+ o


Example:
a)      I wish I had had money
→The truth: I don’t have money
b)      He wishes he were rich
→The truth: he is not rich
c)      You wish you could fly
→The truth: you cannot fly


2.    Past subjunctive (untruth wish in the past)
Subjunctive Wish (+) in the past
The truth (-) in the past
S + wish + s+ had + v3 + o
S + wish + s+ had been+ adj./noun/adverb
S + wish + s+ modal 2 + have + v3 + o

S + didn’t + v1 + o
S + was/were not + adj./noun/adverb
S + modal 2 + not + v1 + o


Subjunctive Wish (-) in the past
The truth (+) in the past
S + wish + s+ hadn’t + v3 + o
S + wish + s+ hadn’t been+ adj./noun/adverb
S + wish + s+ modal 2 not have + v3 + o

S + v2 + o
S + was/were +  adj./noun/adverb
S + modal 2 + v1 + o


Example:
a)      I wish I had had money yesterday
→The truth: I didn’t have money yesterday
b)      He wishes he had been there last night
→The truth: he was not there
c)      You wish you could have bought a car last night
→You could not buy a car last year
SUBJUNCTIVE ‘AS IF/AS THOUGH’
(Seakan-Akan / Seolah-Olah)
1.      Subjunctive ‘As If/As Though’ in the present
Example:
Kustam often wastes his money as though he were rich
→The fact is that : kustam is not rich
2.      Subjunctive ‘As If/As Though’ in the past
Example:
She acts as if she had been pregnant last year
(dia berlagak seolah-olah dia hamil tahun lalu)
→The fact is that: she was not pregnant last year


SUBJUNCTIVE ‘WOULD RATHER’
(Lebih Senang / Lebih Memilih)

1.    Subjunctive ‘would rather’ in the present
Example:
Kustam would rather he went home now
→The fact is that: Kustam doesn’t go home now
2.    Subjunctive ‘would rather’ in the past
Example:
John would rather he had married Laura last year
→The fact is that: John didn’t marry Laura last year

SUBJUNCTIVE ‘IF ONLY’
(Jika Saja / Andaikan Saja)

It is used to express impossible wish
1.    Subjunctive ‘if only’
Example:
If only she were beautiful
→The fact is that: She is not beautiful
2.    Subjunctive ‘if only’
Example:
If only she had reminded me about that yesterday.
→The fact is that: She didn’t remind me yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment