glasses girl

glasses girl
in the front of mosque

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

1.      Explanation
Expressing preference is used to express preference or option about something people like.
The sentence patterns, are :
a)    S + like + noun + better than + noun
Example : my father likes peanut better than chocolate
                             Or
S + like + Ving + better than + Ving
Example : I like selling cake better than making cake
b)   S + prefer + noun + to + noun
Example : Rudy prefers apple to grapes
Or
c)    S + prefer + Ving + to + Ving
Example : Rudy prefers swimming to playing football
d)   S + would rather + V1 + than + V1
Example : wenny would rather leave early than wait for him
e)    S + would prefer to + V1 + rather than + V1
Example : I would prefer to go shopping rather than stay at home
EXPLANATORY NOTES

PREFERENCE
RESPONSE
-  Would you prefer … to infinitive (or infinitive)?
-  Would you rather … infinitive… (or infinitive)?
-  Would you like to … infinitive… (or infinitive)?
-  Do you prefer …Gerund/Noun or Gerund/Noun…?
-  What would you rather do: … Infinitive or Infinitive…?
-  Do you like … Noun or Gerund … better/ more than … Noun or Gerund?
-  I’d prefer … to infinitive ….
-  I prefer … Noun or Gerund
- I’d rather … Infinitive … (than Infinitive).
- I like … Nounor Gerund … better than … Noun or Gerund ….
-  I like both.
-  I don’t like either of them.
-  Neither. I prefer … to infinitive


2.      Example of conversation showing expressing preference
Waiter                         : What would you like to order, madam?
Woman            : I’d like to have a salad,please.
Waiter                         : Would you prefer vegetable salad or fruit salad?
Woman            : I prefer vegetable salad to fruit salad, please.
Waiter                         : Certainly. What would you like to drink? Ice tea perhaps?
Woman                 : I’d rather have lemon tea without ice at this time of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment